[PDB-gov] Vote collection and counting

Chris Caputo secretary at peeringdb.com
Fri Nov 6 12:45:06 PST 2015

Dave,

As we navigate the minefield of differing viewpoints, the overriding goal
here is legitimacy.  I am motivated to run this election in a manner which
will not be challenged by reasonable people.  Thus I want to make sure you
and anyone else are satisfied with the fairness and openness of the
process.

In regards to my conflict of interest, it is important to repeat to all
here, members and candidates, that a future Board may choose to pay me for
organizational and/or financial services.  I am motivated to do a good and
honest job, both because it is the right thing to do, and because it may
reflect well on me in the eyes of a future Board.  I also understand that
I may not be retained, regardless of how well this process goes.

The plan I negotiated between Richard Turkbergen, Patrick Gilmore, Aaron
Hughes and Matthew Griswold, as part of having an open election, is to
have ballots go to secretary at peeringdb.com, with the alias being staffed
by Richard Turkbergen, Patrick Gilmore, and myself.

The benefit of having multiple parties receive the secretary@ emails is to
provide an auditing mechanism.

An issue has been raised in regards to Patrick receiving the emails, since
Patrick has also declared for the Board.  (He is one of the nine present
candidates.)

Patrick has agreed to be removed from secretary@, and that removal has
been completed.

That means that both Richard Turkbergen (née Richard Steenbergen, the
original creator of PeeringDB) and myself will receive the votes.

In regards to use of BigPulse or other voting services...

Keep in mind that an issue we have is that each vote will need to be
carefully checked to make sure that organizations are not duplicate
voting.  In additional each voter will need to be checked against the
PeeringDB database to make sure they match the member definition of
representing an active PeeringDB account.

I have experience running Board elections by hand, with a spreadsheet, and
am confident in my ability to do so.  I do not have experience in setting
up a BigPulse or other electronic voting service for a Board election, and
would be leery of screwing it up, thus destroying the progress we have
made.  I am concerned that a 3rd party runs the same risk.

In the future Matthew believes he will be able to integrate voting into
the website itself, so that these issues are handled and vote tabulation
is automated, but we do not have that for this election.  Hopefully it
will be tested and in place for the proposed April election.

Chris