[PDB-gov] Voting eligibility

Chris Caputo secretary at peeringdb.com
Wed Nov 18 17:42:15 PST 2015

[Combining replies...]

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015, Matthew Walster wrote:
> On 19 November 2015 at 01:10, Chris Caputo <secretary at peeringdb.com> wrote:
> > I think low-cost ($5?) annual fee-based individual memberships are an
> > interesting solution to what started this thread, assuming you mean in
> > addition to organizational members.  Folks could pay the fee for others,
> > as a way of supporting their volunteering.
>
> Couldn't disagree strongly enough. I'd extend my opposition to this as
> far as I would never want to see PeeringDB mandate payment of funds from
> any of its users. To fundraise, sure. To solicit donations, sure. To
> charge for any kind of service -- electoral, database access or other,
> would vastly diminish the value of PeeringDB.

Is there a better alternative to the problem of active volunteers not
presently being able to participate in the electoral process?

There's been a number of ideas here, but maybe it is a can of worms to try
to have both organizations and individuals voting, while keeping things
zero cost.

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015, Nat Morris wrote:
> Likewise.
>
> I stood down from the election process due to confusion over who is
> eligable to vote. Regarding volunteers more than happy for people to
> help run the service, but I think it'd be cleaner if they vote on behalf
> of an org.
>
> Which entries can vote? then I would like to see only legal entries - as
> an open example I have 4 or 5 ASNs myself (with no revenue stream), one
> of which is my anycast network, another a single colo box in London and
> one my house, I think I have a few spare too. A couple of these have PDB
> entries, but I should only able to vote once.

If you have "common control" over these various entities, then the current
affiliate clause says that you can only have one vote.

Chris