[PDB-gov] Voting eligibility

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Wed Nov 18 17:50:58 PST 2015

On 19 November 2015 at 03:42, Chris Caputo <secretary at peeringdb.com> wrote:

> Is there a better alternative to the problem of active volunteers not
> presently being able to participate in the electoral process?

​Yes, ​bunch of volunteers running it without an elected governing body. I
do realise, however, that I'm by far in the minority position on this.

> There's been a number of ideas here, but maybe it is a can of worms to try
> to have both organizations and individuals voting, while keeping things
> zero cost.

​Users of the database are the ones who should have votes -- be it those
reading or updating.​ IMO it should be the responsibility of the admins to
judge the feeling of the community and take action if they feel necessary.
That may be against the will of the majority of the public.

I guess I'm suggesting more of a meritocracy than a democratic one vote per
independent entity.

As you quite right say, nothing can be done about *this* election, but I'd
suggest that a rather large can of worms will be at risk of being opened in
the near future as it becomes more "political" and less "rough consensus
and running code".