[PDB-gov] Voting eligibility

Pierfrancesco Caci pf at caci.it
Thu Nov 19 10:27:27 PST 2015

    Chris> - 2 organizations have been disallowed from voting due to
    Chris> coming under the purview of the draft bylaws affiliate
    Chris> clause (*).  1 was disallowed because of a parent
    Chris> organization affiliation, and 1 was disallowed because
    Chris> of a common control affiliation.
    >>
    >> After this election is over, I suggest that we talk about when a
    >> controlled organization is independent enough to get their own vote
    >> besides that of the parent. One of the 2 orgs that have been disallowed
    >> could well have voted independently of mine, in my opinion.

    Chris> Allowing organizations under common control to have multiple votes,
    Chris> depending on the level of independence reported by the organizations
    Chris> themselves, would seem to be a challenging equation to balance.

    Chris> If A is a parent of B and C, and B and C are able to vote,
    Chris> then A wields
    Chris> twice the influence of other voters.

    Chris> I don't see how that can be negated.

I'm not sure which cases we're trying to prevent here. B and C run
different networks with different peering policies and requirements.
I understand that you have no possibility to check the level of
independence. Anyway, let's have this vote come to conclusion, and maybe
in the meantime I or someone else comes up with a better idea.

Pf

--
Pierfrancesco Caci