[PDB Gov] Joining as a member to leverage on the PeeringDB

Chris Caputo secretary at peeringdb.com
Wed Aug 23 11:26:29 PDT 2017

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017, Mahmud bin Ahmad wrote:
> PeeringDB Admin,
>
> Appreciate it if you direct our queries to the person-in-charge of
> membership.
>
> We wish to leverage on the PeeringDB information. Understand that to
> leverage on the peering database information, the organization is
> required to join as a member.

Mahmud,

Your organization does not need to be a Member to have an active account
at PeeringDB.com, but Membership is available to those that do.  Per the
Bylaws, Membership is determined by having an active PeeringDB.com account
and a subscription to the pdb-gov mailing list.

> 1.  What are the Terms and Conditions for PeeringDB membership?

Please refer to http://docs.peeringdb.com/gov/ "Organizational Documents"
for the legal aspects of PeeringDB.  An Acceptable Use Policy is under
development by the Board - a draft of which is below.  (pdb-gov
subscribers: feedback welcome)

> 2.  Are there any membership fees required for members?

No, there are no membership fees.  The organization welcomes sponsorships
as its method of financial support.  https://www.peeringdb.com/sponsors

> 3.  Are there any liability e.g. liquidated damages impose on members?

No.

> 4.  To register NTU network information in the PeeringDB information, is
> our organization required to join as a member?

No, this is not necessary.

Chris Caputo
PeeringDB Secretary/Treasurer

---
DRAFT PeeringDB Acceptable Use Policy

The PeeringDB acceptable use policy explicitly states the parameters that
copyright extends to:

"Except for Internet operational purposes approved by PeeringDB, no part
of the PeeringDB data may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or
transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical,
recording, or otherwise, without prior permission of PeeringDB on behalf
of the copyright holders. Any use of this material to target advertising
or similar activities is explicitly forbidden and will be prosecuted.
PeeringDB requests to be notified of any such activities or suspicions
thereof. The PeeringDB data may not be passed on in bulk to any other
person or organization unless approved by PeeringDB."

Any request to pass on information to any other person or organization
will be evaluated on the statement of purpose outlined by the requestor.

Users will not be able to download the full contents of the database
unless the intended use is for "Internet operational issues". These words
are tightly defined and would include network trouble-shooting, abuse
reporting, and Internet research and analysis. It would not include
compiling marketing lists, demographic mapping, or any other commercial
application.

Each request would be carefully considered in light of the PeeringDB
acceptable use policy.
---