[PDB Gov] PeeringDB Transparency Request

Daniel Golding dgolding at google.com
Wed Mar 29 13:42:17 PDT 2017

> 1) PeeringDB's financial controls policy.

*The finances are governed by the Bylaws.  The Members elect the Board,
andthe Board elects the Officers.  The President is the chief executive
andmay delegate financial tasks to the Treasurer.*

Just a note here - this is an assertion, not a financial controls policy.
Generally, non-profits will have some sort of written policy about who can
write checks, for how much, how many signatures are required, etc.
Typically, it also says if audits are conducted, who does them, etc. This
is generally not part of an organization's bylaws. "The president can spend
all the monies" is certainly one possible financial controls policy, but
there are others that are considered somewhat more evolved. I'm sure some
of the other organizations in this sector (NANOG, ARIN, etc) would be
willing to share their financial controls policies, if asked.  While this
sounds daunting, NANOG started with a two page financial controls policy
that lasted for years - it doesn't have to be particularly heavy weight.
Failure to maintain proper financial controls is one of the top causes of
loss of non-profit status.

Dan

--
Dan Golding |  Global Network Infrastructure |  dgolding at google.com |   +1