[PDB-tech] API - question about ixlan and netix

Andy Linton asjl at nsrc.org
Wed Jun 17 15:46:53 PDT 2015

I've been using the current peeringdb data to build maps of IXPs for NSRC.
I'm doing this by downloading a copy of the mysql database and extracting
data from that.

I'm in the process of reworking my code to be ready for the changes to 2.0
and I'm using the API to extra data. I can happily extract the list of IXPs
and get the details I want from the 'ix' API data.

I also want to be able to calculate how many people participate at each IXP
and currently I do that with an SQL query to the peerParticipantsPublics
table e.g.

sqlQuery="""SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT(participant_id))
                    FROM peerParticipantsPublics
                    WHERE public_id = '{0}'
                    """.format(ixpID)

So I'm trying to do this using the API and I can see that I can look at the
'netix' API data and work out who peers at each unique "ix_lan" instance.
For example, I can deduce that ix_lan == 114 means the WIX-NZ. My network
has:

    {
      "network": 7662,
      "ix_lan": 114,
      "notes": "",
      "speed": 4,
      "asn": 132003,
      "ipaddr4": "202.7.0.190",
      "ipaddr6": "2001:7fa:3:ca07::be"
    },

But if I look for this ID in the 'ixlan' API data there's no entry for 114
and there appears to be no way to map this back to the 'ix' entry for
WIX-NZ which has id == 132

I'm guessing that the 'ixlan' data is not populated in any meaningful way
as all entries seem to be of this form:

   {
      "ix": 11017,
      "name": "",