[PDB-tech] Netnod Stockholm LANs same IX

Matt Griswold grizz at 20c.com
Fri Apr 15 22:35:58 PDT 2016

* "Martin J. Levy" <mahtin at mahtin.com> [160414 13:52 -0700]:
> +1
>
> This could not be handled by PDB1.0 cleanly however 2.0 can
> handlev it. Same for some otter IXs like this.
>
> How do we update the DB to add data to the MTUs and/or VLAN numbers
> columns and more? Should NETNOD request this?
Netnod can (and should ;) do it themselves, yes - the new permissions
model supports full control by IX operators. Any other IXPs in similar
situations should as well and may email support at peeringdb.com if
they'd like help doing so.

I'm not a fan of the IX LAN separation - it was used in part to help
with the Euro-IX/IX-F database sync, and seemed like a great idea. In
practice I think it overly complicates everything it touches to offer a
tiny bit more description to what is really just an edge case.

Dropping it in favor of each LAN being a separate IX, while moving the
fields on the LAN record to the base IX, seems to be a much better
solution. The only issue I see in getting rid of the separate LANs on
the same IX record is association to a parent of sorts, and I think the
Org + area covered does that adequately.

Would love to hear any feedback on that - it will be one of the first
topics for the newly forming Product Committee.