[PDB-tech] Netnod Stockholm LANs same IX

Matt Griswold grizz at 20c.com
Sat Apr 16 14:42:58 PDT 2016

* Arnold Nipper <arnold.nipper at de-cix.net> [160416 19:59 +0200]:
> On 16.04.2016 07:35, Matt Griswold wrote:
> > Dropping it in favor of each LAN being a separate IX, while moving
> >   the fields on the LAN record to the base IX, seems to be a much
> >   better solution. The only issue I see in getting rid of the
> >   separate LANs on the same IX record is association to a parent of
> >   sorts, and I think the Org + area covered does that adequately.
> >
> > Would love to hear any feedback on that - it will be one of the
> >   first topics for the newly forming Product Committee.
> >

> So how would you distinguish an IXP having a LAN with multiple IP's on
> it from an IXP running two separate LAN's.
Very simply, the LAN would show up as another IX, and the multiple
prefixes would show up as multiple prefixes.

> Imho the cleanest approach really is to have to different IXP LAN.
>
> "Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler" (Albert Einstein)
The IX Lan concept is a whole new table, multiple relations, and
querable object type to fit something that's used by 3 IXPs in the
world, and I still haven't seen a use case for having it there.

There have been a couple reasons to get rid of it already tho.