[PDB-tech] Netnod Stockholm LANs same IX

Arnold Nipper arnold.nipper at de-cix.net
Sat Apr 16 15:15:22 PDT 2016

On 16.04.2016 23:42, Matt Griswold wrote:
> * Arnold Nipper <arnold.nipper at de-cix.net> [160416 19:59 +0200]:
>> On 16.04.2016 07:35, Matt Griswold wrote:
>>> Dropping it in favor of each LAN being a separate IX, while moving
>>>   the fields on the LAN record to the base IX, seems to be a much
>>>   better solution. The only issue I see in getting rid of the
>>>   separate LANs on the same IX record is association to a parent of
>>>   sorts, and I think the Org + area covered does that adequately.
>>>
>>> Would love to hear any feedback on that - it will be one of the
>>>   first topics for the newly forming Product Committee.
>>>

>> So how would you distinguish an IXP having a LAN with multiple IP's on
>> it from an IXP running two separate LAN's.
>
> Very simply, the LAN would show up as another IX, and the multiple
> prefixes would show up as multiple prefixes.

I guess we mean the same :) ... e.g. LINX in London runs two IX's. Same
does Netnod in Stockholm

>> Imho the cleanest approach really is to have to different IXP LAN.
>>
>> "Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler" (Albert Einstein)
>
> The IX Lan concept is a whole new table, multiple relations, and
> querable object type to fit something that's used by 3 IXPs in the
> world, and I still haven't seen a use case for having it there.
>
> There have been a couple reasons to get rid of it already tho.

Now I'm unsure what you are talking about? What is IX LAN?

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper
Chief Technology Evangelist and Co-Founder

DE-CIX Management GmbH | Lindleystrasse 12 | 60314 Frankfurt am Main |
Germany | www.de-cix.net | Phone +49 69 1730902 22 |
Mobile +49 172 2650958 | Fax +49 69 4056 2716 |
arnold.nipper at de-cix.net | Geschaeftsfuehrer Harald A. Summa |
Registergericht AG Koeln HRB 51135