[PDB-tech] proposed new attribute: max_allowed_peering_next_hop_latency

Arnold Nipper arnold.nipper at de-cix.net
Wed Apr 20 08:29:27 PDT 2016

On 19.04.2016 17:19, Job Snijders wrote:

> I propose a new attribute for network records called
> "max_allowed_peering_next_hop_latency".

Excellent idea! Where did this idea only came from ;-)

> The purpose of this attribute is to signal to other interested parties
> (human peering coordinators looking for new interconnection, or computer
> scripts generating route server configs) what the maximum unidirectional
> latency can be between the two (potentially) peering routers.

Who of us really is able to do measurement of unidirectional latency?
Hence I would propose to stick to some sort of RTT (if I understand your
post in the other thread correctly it would be
Min(RTT_of_a_series_of_pings)/2))

Otoh I do not really care as long as it is easy to measure the latency.
Doing it via ping *is* easy.

Kind regards
Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper
Chief Technology Evangelist and Co-Founder

DE-CIX Management GmbH | Lindleystrasse 12 | 60314 Frankfurt am Main |
Germany | www.de-cix.net | Phone +49 69 1730902 22 |
Mobile +49 172 2650958 | Fax +49 69 4056 2716 |
arnold.nipper at de-cix.net | Geschaeftsfuehrer Harald A. Summa |
Registergericht AG Koeln HRB 51135