[PDB-tech] proposed new attribute: max_allowed_peering_next_hop_latency

Arnold Nipper arnold.nipper at de-cix.net
Tue Apr 26 00:12:48 PDT 2016

On 25.04.2016 20:09, Job Snijders wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 01:37:46PM +0200, Arnold Nipper wrote:
>>> I propose a new attribute for network records called
>>> "max_allowed_peering_next_hop_latency".
>>>
>>> The purpose of this attribute is to signal to other interested
>>> parties (human peering coordinators looking for new
>>> interconnection, or computer scripts generating route server
>>> configs) what the maximum unidirectional latency can be between
>>> the two (potentially) peering routers.
>>
>> Would that really be a single number only. Imho it could make sense
>> to take into the place where you are peering.
>
> Yes, our peering policy has one such number. Exceptions may be made
> but that is not part of the policy itself.
>
> Would it be an idea to start with one value, and in a later,
> separate discussion brainstorm about regional granularity? Such
> granularity would apply to max prefix v4|v6 too, or maybe IRR
> records. I'd rather see a generalized mechanism for regional
> granularity then shove something in specific to latency.

Always a good idea to start simple. It's getting complex / complicated
anyway later on ;-)

So +1 ...

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper
Chief Technology Evangelist and Co-Founder

DE-CIX Management GmbH | Lindleystrasse 12 | 60314 Frankfurt am Main |
Germany | www.de-cix.net | Phone +49 69 1730902 22 |
Mobile +49 172 2650958 | Fax +49 69 4056 2716 |
arnold.nipper at de-cix.net | Geschaeftsfuehrer Harald A. Summa |
Registergericht AG Koeln HRB 51135