[PDB Tech] allow empty IP field or not?

Eric Loos eric at ipergy.net
Mon Dec 26 10:32:51 PST 2016

I don’t really see a valid use case for wanting to ‘hide’ a presence at a PUBLIC internet exchange. If you don’t want to peer, that is what the peering policy field is for, to give people a hint that they shouldn’t be bothering you. The prime desire expressed by the users of PDB was to increase the data quality. In that sense, an entity in my view is only *at* an exchange, if it has an IP address there. Perhaps I am not seeing all the use case, so I really would like to hear from the people wanting to keep the field empty for other reasons than signalling prospective peers, I hope security is not a drive since that doesn’t really make sense.
It could be that people want to signal their intent to prospective peers that they will be at an exchange, but this is a different use case and might be better served in another way.

Kind regards,

Eric