[PDB Tech] allow empty IP field or not?

Eric Loos eric at ipergy.net
Wed Dec 28 10:08:46 PST 2016

Hi Martin,

I think we agree so let me try again :-)  PDB should be definitive so the field IMO should not be empty, The information should be valid and as correct as possible and indeed people should be able to automate against it. That being said, I doubt we want people to just blindly have a script configure a session just because someone, somewhere has added an IP address on an exchange, there should be another step, right? I have the feeling that people are trying to work around this by keeping the field empty, rather than having some kind of workflow automation allowing people to signal in an automated way that it is okay to peer on a particular IP address. For instance people that have a passive BGP session open to the entire IX subnet could just have an automated workflow auto-responder saying OK.
Today this automation is of course not there and not on the roadmap, but a necessary first step is that the information is correct.
I believe the resolution to what we do is a vote on PDB product-com, since the tea-leaves are indeed whatever someone chooses to read into it ;-) I am fine either way, but when there is no consensus there should be a resolution process.