[PDB Tech] PeeringDB API Discrepency

Chris Van Fossen cvf at google.com
Tue Oct 4 15:14:55 PDT 2016

*> There are 84 dupe v4 and 51 dupe v6, so we'll fix the data and add the
constraint.*

That constraint can be a problem.

Example:
Network ABC is given an IP by an IX and updates PeeringDB. Later on,
Network ABC leaves the IX, or goes out of business, or stops caring about
peering. Their PeeringDB entry stays up. The IX decides to give the IP to
new network XYZ. Now the new network cannot put it into PeeringDB, as the
old entry is still sitting with Network ABC.

Happened to me in the past. Got around it by adding a space at the end of
the IP (had to remember to strip out the space when processing data from
PeeringDB).

If we add the constraint, does the resolution become reaching out to
PeeringDB support and waiting for admin to sort it?

Best,
Chris