[PDB Tech] Using the API for integration into LibreNMS

Martin J. Levy mahtin at mahtin.com
Tue Mar 14 21:40:52 PDT 2017

Neil,

> ... that will equate to a large number of api hits per install so could
mount up.

Arnold's response about the multi ASN query is worth doing.

I would also point out that there's always other options.

1) Do a "sync" and have a local copy of the database to query (we do this
at Cloudflare for our peering tools and I know that others do the same).

2) Keep a cached copy of the data for any object so that if you see the
same ASN more than once you will have what you already need. Note that
keeping data cached for X days is pretty safe; where X is your choosing.

3) Throw caution to the wind and simply say "If we are a legit user of the
data; then PDB should be built with the capability to handle the populace
of users in the world".

I actually like #3 as this sounds like a pretty legit user of the data;
plus I know a pretty cool CDN that could help PDB handle the added load! :)

Martin