[PDB User-discuss] PeeringDB survey with regard to the future of PeeringDB

Dave Temkin dave at temk.in
Fri Aug 7 07:26:37 PDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:58 PM, Chris Caputo <ccaputo at alt.net> wrote:

> Respectfully, we disagree.
>
> Some counter-arguments:
>
> A smaller target is less enticing.

And easier to wrestle control over. To get an injunction against. To shut
down until they capitulate to your demands.

Nearly impossible to get insurance for.

> A single altruistic organizational mission is easier for a
> judge/jury/arbitrator to grok (Dan invoked Heinlein!), versus a subsidiary
> of a larger organization with a multitude of responsibilities & contracts
> to honor. Multitude of responsibilities & contracts means more chances of
> screwing up.

We're not talking about being owned by Halliburton.

> Simplicity also helps in the court of public opinion. If Xyz network with
> 3-digit ASN considers a suit against small-target PeeringDB, they risk
> more public backlash, than if PeeringDB is confusingly under a parent org.

Cogent doesn't care about public backlash. Nor does anyone else who would
bother to file suit, yet it could absolutely happen.

> If a hypothetical PeeringDB Inc gets sued into bankruptcy, a database and
> code copy (open source it in advance?), along with volunteers &
> servers/bandwidth, is sufficient to get it going again under a new
> umbrella.

Which made this entire effort wasted. Why embark on it with your only exit
being pulling the rip cord instead of the ability to stand up for your
beliefs?

> Board Members of any PeeringDB Inc will need to understand the risks of a
> plaintiff trying to pierce the corporate veil to go after them
> individually.

Correct, and PeeringDB Inc will be unable to get D&O insurance because of
the limited income structure of being donation driven.

> If a larger parent organization is sued, due to the alleged actions or
> failures of subsidiary PeeringDB, a conflict of interest ensues.
> Rhetorically, do you cut-off/restrict/influence a limb to save the larger
> org? Should OpenIX or NANOG or other hypothetical org take a bullet and
> risk bankruptcy to save PeeringDB? Do Board Members of any parent
> organization really want to take on the additional risk of a plaintiff
> trying to pierce a corporate veil and go after their personal assets? If
> the perceived risk is low, a separate organization is sufficient. If the
> perceived risk is more then low, what parent org in their right mind would
> take on the risk?

That's what D&O insurance, amongst other things (like a $5MM liability
policy) are for, which you reap the benefit of by being under the veil of a
larger organization.

> Dan, I took most of your questions as rhetorical or to be decided by
> pdb-gov. Re "hard" list of donors: I don't think one exists anymore (if
> ever) since so much time has passed and this is a moving target.

Dan's point stands. The current "Board" of PDB is barely representative of
the user base that relies on it and is in no way representative of the
(meaningful) donor base.