[PDB User] "ipv4 prefixes" / "ipv6 prefixes" semantics

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Wed Aug 2 02:40:47 PDT 2017

Hi all,

If we look at a record like https://peeringdb.com/net/1045, what do the
values behind "IPv4 Prefixes" (250000) and "IPv6 prefixes" (25000)
actually mean?

Is this the number of prefixes NTT will announce to any EBGP neighbor?
Or to some EBGP neighbors? Or is this the recommended maximum prefix
limit for IPv4 and IPv6?

Perhaps the website would benefit from changing "IPv4 Prefixes" to
"Recommended IPv4 Prefix limit" - however that phrasing is slightly too
long to neatly fit in the column. (I'm not advocating to change the
field names in the API)

If we make it shorter: "Max IPv6 Prefixes" I feel that the semantics yet
again are somewhat ambiguous. Ideas?

Kind regards,

Job