[PDB Data Ownership-TF] IXP assignment IP address (netixlan) ownership

Chris Caputo ccaputo at alt.net
Fri Jan 24 17:30:53 PST 2020

Arnold,

> Even though we consider data from IXP as authoritative,

Either data from the IXP is authoritative or it is not.

If an IXP's IX-F JSON export is properly formatted and decoded, I believe
it should be considered authoritative, giving the IXP the ability to
prevent conflicted data from being propagated and used to inform
provisioning systems.

Propagation of conflicted data affects peering fabrics by either causing
broadcast/multicast storms for missing routers or by having networks
attempt connections to routers using incorrect ASNs.

IXP data might contain errors, as may PeeringDB data.  That has always
been the case.  Further, both sources of data can be hacked, and the value
of PeeringDB as a hacker target only goes up if networks are automating
BGP sessions in a senseless manner.  Thus networks that use data provided
by PeeringDB should be careful in their automation, such as by involving
human review, or handling changes in source data in a manner resistant to
unintended disruption.

> it might contain errors. According to your proposal data would disappear
> in the API. Booom!

When the IX-F importer was running, it did exactly that!

Upon initial implementation of #627, conflicted data would disappear from
all views except the /net/ (aka /asn/) HTML page.  On the /net/ (aka
/asn/) HTML page it would be flagged as conflicted.

After initial run of #627, no data would disappear, except in cases where
either the IXP or the Network no longer lists an assignment.  That is
intended, since the idea is that mutual agreement is needed in order for
the assignment to be public.

In the same way that no one is allowed to force data onto a Network's
PeeringDB pages, no one should be allowed to force data onto an IXP's
PeeringDB pages if an IXP makes it clear they do not want that.  As I
understand things, that's always been a fundamental PeeringDB concept with
respect to Network pages, and I don't see why that shouldn't also apply to
IXP pages.

> Again: if there is a conflict, data *must* stay intact and conflict
> resolution has to happen asap with all parties involved.

Network-provided data stays intact in the netixlan table, but it is
disputable (hence this discussion) that it should be public in such as way
as to inform provisioning.  I believe the IXP should have the option of
having a say in that matter, since it is their address space, and their
fabric which can be affected.

Chris