[PDB Data Ownership-TF] IXP assignment IP address (netixlan) ownership

Arnold Nipper arnold at peeringdb.com
Mon Jan 27 09:10:01 PST 2020

On 27.01.2020 17:42, Chris Caputo wrote:

> A core question for the task force: Does an IXP exporting IX-F JSON data
> have the right to prevent a network from publishing an assignment on the
> IXP's subnet?

The answer is "no" IMO

> I wrote #627 because I believe that right is a given, but apparently you
> disagree?  What do others believe?

I completely agree that the IX is the authoritative source. However, the
IX-F JSON may be faulty. Hence any conflict should be escalated
immediately to all parties involved and resolution be sought.

That's the reason we have the Data Ownership TF. We have found out that
currently everything boils down to the netixlan object where both the
net and the ix have a say.

In short. Without the ix having defined an ixpfx no network is able to
create a netixlan record. The only one able to create and modify a
netixlan record is a net (setting allow_ixp_update=yes only means that
the net delegates this right to the ix).

Of course the net is able to delete a netixlan object. And with the old
importer the ix was also able to delete a netixlan record. Even w/o
permission of the net. And we have seen that this behaviour is
unacceptable. Hence manual resolution is needed.

Does that make sense?

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper