[PDB-gov] organizational documents

Steve Feldman steven.feldman at cbsinteractive.com
Tue Oct 20 19:42:48 PDT 2015

Having dabbled a bit in nonprofit governance in the past, here are my
comments on the proposed Bylaws:

2.3.1: Can the definition and purpose of "Affiliate" be made more clear?  I
think the purpose is to limit the number of votes to one per member
organization, and to avoid conflicts of interest in section 6.3.  But it
took me a few readings to get that far.  And it's not clear who exactly
gets to vote on behalf of a member organization.

2.14: This is described in more detail in section 6.3.  Perhaps add a
reference here?

3.2: This first says the number of Directors is set by Board resolution
within a specified range, then says "The number of Directors may be changed
from time to time by amendment to these Bylaws."  Should this say instead
that the allowable range is changed by amendment?  Or is the intent to fix
the number after the first Board resolution?

3.4.2: This section implies that there will be exactly five board seats at
the first election, but that's not explicitly defined anywhere in the
Bylaws.  It is in the Articles of Incorporation, but there's nothing
preventing the number of seats from being changed before or at election
time.

6.3: Perhaps refer to the earlier definition of "Affiliate"?

7: As written, the Board could amend Article 7 to allow themselves to amend
Article 6.  At minimum, require member voting to amend articles 6 and 7.
You might also want to consider whether or not to include other sections,
as it's possible to invent other doomsday scenarios where a rogue Board
majority could redefine the organization in ways the intended constituency
might not appreciate.

Overall, these do seem well-written, and I appreciate the effort being put
into getting this off the ground.
     Steve