[PDB Gov] PeeringDB Term Limits Proposed Bylaws Revision

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Oct 23 06:50:19 PDT 2023

I am in favor of term limits, but only in certain circumstances.

If the role has significant power where the incumbents can intimidate or
otherwise keep themselves in power (e.g a leader of a country), then they
are useful.

But, in an organization like PDB, where the board / organization isn't
super important[0], where the board is small, or where it is hard to find
candidates willing to run, they can result in seriously suboptimal outcomes.
Let's pretend that e.g Aaron (alphabetically first) was term limited, and
that only person running was me… Would y'all *really* want to be forced to
replace Aaron with me, just because of a term limit? Really?

[0]: Yes, PeeringDB is important, but it isn't the type of organization
which has guns, and no-one is likely to bribe or intimidate people to get
elected to the board, etc.