[PDB-tech] Netnod Stockholm LANs same IX

Arnold Nipper arnold.nipper at de-cix.net
Sat Apr 16 10:59:37 PDT 2016

On 16.04.2016 07:35, Matt Griswold wrote:
> * "Martin J. Levy" <mahtin at mahtin.com> [160414 13:52 -0700]:
>> +1
>>
>> This could not be handled by PDB1.0 cleanly however 2.0 can
>> handlev it. Same for some otter IXs like this.
>>
>> How do we update the DB to add data to the MTUs and/or VLAN numbers
>> columns and more? Should NETNOD request this?
> Netnod can (and should ;) do it themselves, yes - the new permissions
> model supports full control by IX operators. Any other IXPs in similar
> situations should as well and may email support at peeringdb.com if
> they'd like help doing so.
>
> I'm not a fan of the IX LAN separation - it was used in part to help
> with the Euro-IX/IX-F database sync, and seemed like a great idea. In
> practice I think it overly complicates everything it touches to offer a
> tiny bit more description to what is really just an edge case.
>
> Dropping it in favor of each LAN being a separate IX, while moving the
> fields on the LAN record to the base IX, seems to be a much better
> solution. The only issue I see in getting rid of the separate LANs on
> the same IX record is association to a parent of sorts, and I think the
> Org + area covered does that adequately.
>
> Would love to hear any feedback on that - it will be one of the first
> topics for the newly forming Product Committee.

So how would you distinguish an IXP having a LAN with multiple IP's on
it from an IXP running two separate LAN's.

Imho the cleanest approach really is to have to different IXP LAN.

"Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler" (Albert Einstein)

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper
Chief Technology Evangelist and Co-Founder

DE-CIX Management GmbH | Lindleystrasse 12 | 60314 Frankfurt am Main |
Germany | www.de-cix.net | Phone +49 69 1730902 22 |
Mobile +49 172 2650958 | Fax +49 69 4056 2716 |
arnold.nipper at de-cix.net | Geschaeftsfuehrer Harald A. Summa |
Registergericht AG Koeln HRB 51135