[PDB-tech] Netnod Stockholm LANs same IX

Arnold Nipper arnold.nipper at de-cix.net
Sun Apr 17 09:22:08 PDT 2016

On 17.04.2016 17:52, Job Snijders wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 05:36:45PM +0200, Arnold Nipper wrote:
>> Basically I fully agree, Martin. I guess one of the main purposes of
>> PDB2.0 also is/was to ease automation. Hence you have to be able to
>> easily and automagically retrieve information for e.g. about members,
>> peerings etc.
>>
>> And before we start the discussion we all should be clear what we mean
>> by "LAN" or "IXP".
>>
>> I guess the model has to go along
>>
>>  org -> "independant physical infrastructure" -> vlan (-> prefixe(s))
>>
>> Each unique instantion of this triple (or maybe quadruple) would imho be
>> what would be an IXP.
>
> Maybe the prefix (peering lan prefix) is the unique key here, what if we
> consider an IXP to be solely an (org, ipv4_prefix ∪ ipv6_prefix) tuple
> to be an IXP. (prefix being both the v4 and v6 peering lan prefix).

That also was my first approach and it seems to be natural. But I could
imagine situations where this doesn't work. You may have e.g Job-IX with
a single switch in three cities all using the *same* ipv4_prefix ∪
ipv6_prefix, but still being *different* IXPs ...

> The (org, ipv4_prefix ∪ ipv6_prefix) tuple has properties such as
> locality, MTU, vlan tag, purpose (unicast / multicast), presence of
> route-servers, arp sponge mac address, etc...

... so you at least would have to add locality imho. From there you may
add properties. It's imho just another approach from what I proposed and
I guess we should take that model which is easiest to handle, understand
and implement.

> In the PeeringDB integrations I've done I've always targetted the code
> to search for IPs that are in the same subnet as I am (which means a
> peering could be established). The properties are then evaluated against
> the local policy (for instance, inter-domain multicast peering not
> supported => no multicast peering). What remains can be configured.

Regarding same subnet: are there IXP that use *different* subnet on the
same vlan forming a single peering fabric (not asking why you would do so)

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper
Chief Technology Evangelist and Co-Founder

DE-CIX Management GmbH | Lindleystrasse 12 | 60314 Frankfurt am Main |
Germany | www.de-cix.net | Phone +49 69 1730902 22 |
Mobile +49 172 2650958 | Fax +49 69 4056 2716 |
arnold.nipper at de-cix.net | Geschaeftsfuehrer Harald A. Summa |
Registergericht AG Koeln HRB 51135