[PDB-tech] proposed new attribute: max_allowed_peering_next_hop_latency

LOOS Eric (BCS/CBU) eric.loos at bics.com
Wed Apr 20 12:31:47 PDT 2016

Hi,

I am not 100% familiar with the internals so just to make sure I understand; this attribute is intended to signal to prospective peers (as part of a peering policy) that you have as a network a particular max latency peering policy. As far as I understand it, you would not request a network to document the latency every particular peering record has to the actual next L3 hop, correct?

I understand the comment about lawyering over a definition of remote peering, but I don't think it is that much of an issue. Remote peering is very much an accepted way of connecting to IX'es and it has many valid use cases. Furthermore 'are you using remote peering' is a very understandable question for new participants (which are most likely not to meet the requirement). Therefore I would indeed stick with an easy definition of a policy requirement saying remote peering: 'accepted, not accepted, no preference'

In addition, again if I understand it correctly, this only works one way? i.e. someone checking whether they can peer with NTT will find the max_allowed_peering_next_hop_latency attribute and have to decide whether they can connect, it doesn't work from the point of view of a network seeking to peer with all non-remote peering members on an exchange? That would also be very valuable but calls for a remote peering record on each IX connection. Luckily, this could be maintained by the IX'es in most cases because they know whom came in via a partner.

As such, indeed it is a policy requirement, but it is important enough next to ratio requirements, multiple locations, ... given the amount of new customers joining in this way.

Just my 2 cents :)

--
Eric Loos