[PDB Tech] allow empty IP field or not?

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Tue Dec 27 06:02:20 PST 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 01:50:13PM +0000, Chris Caputo wrote:
> Sometimes folks have the IPv6 flag enabled, but they aren't yet doing
> IPv6 at a particular IXP.  If they fill out the IPv6 address, we've
> seen participants with automated session configuration based on
> PeeringDB try to ND for a router that isn't yet configured to handle
> the ND.  This results in broadcasts/multicasts on the fabric which our
> janitor must then chase down to get quashed.  Members then tell the
> janitor that, hey we saw it in PeeringDB, and then the janitor has to
> explain that in the particular case they are not yet doing IPv6...
>
> When this happens with IPv4 it is no big deal since the arpsponge handles
> it, but for IPv6 it is inconvenient.

Are you saying that when someone enters the IPv6 address in PDB, but
doesn't configure the address on their router... you end up with people
sending ND for that address? I would say that is the desired behaviour.
If you don't configure the address you should't list it on PDB.

Keep in mind that currently you have to EITHER configure an IPv4 or IPv6
address, OR both an IPv4 and IPv6 address.

So, if people aren't ready to do IPv6: don't fill in the address. If you
are deprecating IPv4: only fill in the IPv6 address. However, we could
consider it an error if you don't fill in any address.

Kind regards,

Job