[PDB Tech] PeeringDB API Discrepency

Arnold Nipper arnold.nipper at de-cix.net
Tue Oct 4 13:44:39 PDT 2016

On 04.10.2016 22:29, Chris Caputo wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2016, Arnold Nipper wrote:

>>> Whilst playing the the PDB API some more I have found another "issue".
>>> It's not an issue with the API as such but perhaps a feature request;
>>> there seems to be no duplication detection.
>>>
>>> I was trying to automate some stuff at this IX: https://www.peeringdb.com/ix/745
>>>
>>> If you look there are two peers listed at that exchange with the same
>>> IPv4 address (AS 8468 and AS 60688, both with IP 195.66.246.11). This
>>> kind of thing should be easily detectable. Any scope for this sort of
>>> function to be added, where the AS number and company are different
>>> there shouldn't be a matching IP, the IP can only be announced by one
>>> AS number at an exchange.
>>
>> Woow ... how could this happen? Afaik it is not possible to add an IP
>> twice or even more often.
>>
>> Thanks for spotting. We will follow up with LINX to sort out the issue.
>
> It is possible.  We just had someone do this at the SIX in the past week.
> They added our route server addresses, which were registered already in
> PeeringDB.

Definitely a severe bug imho and should be fixed immediately. I'm really
astonished that this pops up only now.

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper
Chief Technology Evangelist and Co-Founder

DE-CIX Management GmbH | Lindleystrasse 12 | 60314 Frankfurt am Main |
Germany | www.de-cix.net | Phone +49 69 1730902 22 |
Mobile +49 172 2650958 | Fax +49 69 4056 2716 |
arnold.nipper at de-cix.net | Geschaeftsfuehrer Harald A. Summa |
Registergericht AG Koeln HRB 51135