[PDB Tech] PeeringDB API Discrepency

Arnold Nipper arnold.nipper at de-cix.net
Tue Oct 4 16:18:26 PDT 2016

On 05.10.2016 00:14, Chris Van Fossen wrote:
> /> There are 84 dupe v4 and 51 dupe v6, so we'll fix the data and add
> the constraint./
>
> That constraint can be a problem.

Not really ...

> Example:
> Network ABC is given an IP by an IX and updates PeeringDB. Later on,
> Network ABC leaves the IX, or goes out of business, or stops caring
> about peering. Their PeeringDB entry stays up. The IX decides to give
> the IP to new network XYZ. Now the new network cannot put it into
> PeeringDB, as the old entry is still sitting with Network ABC.
>
> Happened to me in the past. Got around it by adding a space at the end
> of the IP (had to remember to strip out the space when processing data
> from PeeringDB).
>
> If we add the constraint, does the resolution become reaching out to
> PeeringDB support and waiting for admin to sort it?

... as this can be sorted out immediately by sending a ticket to PDB
support.

Next step will be to synchronize ASN / IP addresses with data from the
IXP. If the IXP does not list ASN as a member the network will be
removed / not allowed to make an entry. However this feature still will
take some time.

Until then opening a ticket is the best way to resolve the issue
quickly. Way better than to have dups imho.

Best,
Arnold