[PDB Announce] New PeeringDB brand identity

Greg Hankins ghankins at peeringdb.com
Sun Feb 24 22:11:46 PST 2019

A helpful reader pointed out that I didn't say what the new brand identity
actually is.  We have a graphic on social media that I neglected to send
with the announcement, which is now attached.

Here's a little more background on the rebranding goals and what the new
logo means.

The first goal was to have branding and a set of graphics that worked
together.  The previous graphics were created as needed by different people,
without looking at how they all worked together.  This created a disjoint
look, for example the favicon was from the first logo and didn't match
the 2.0 logo.  The sponsor badges didn't match anything else, the color
palettes didn't work together, etc.  We now have a comprehensive set of
graphics and a color palette that works across all content.

The second goal was to have branding that captured the evolving scope
of PeeringDB as a resource for not just peering, but more broadly for
interconnection.

The logo design was carefully thought out around these key PeeringDB
attributes:
- Database
- Interconnection
- User-maintained data

The database itself is a fundamental attribute; there as a strong desire to
be more inclusive and emphasize the user-maintained data aspect of PeeringDB,
as well as connecting people; and also that the industry has evolved and
it's about enabling interconnections between networks, not just peering.

This led us to the recognized database blocks, which were then pivoted
to create a 3D image.  The 3D aspect adds more interest and is a metaphor
for multiple elements to the database.  It also provides more surfaces to
use in the color palette in the branding, adding more depth to the logo,
and providing graphical elements for wider use.

The user-maintained aspect means the database is always changing, shifting
and organically growing, so one of the blocks was shifted slightly to
symbolize this.

If you have any other questions, feel free to follow up on the user-discuss
lists.

Kind regards,
Greg

--