[PDB Tech] allow empty IP field or not?

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 27 04:11:49 PST 2016

> Die IXP website list the IP address within the customer portal, so you
> need to login to the IXP customer portal to see the IP addresses of the
> peers.

That may be true for some IXP's, but most of them provide the list of
members including IP addresses in the Euro-IX JSON format.

Like:
https://my.ams-ix.net/api/v1/members.json
https://www.ecix.net/content/member-lists/memberlist_FRA.json

And as mentioned before, scanning the reverse dns zone will also
very likely lead to the next-hop IP's, as do traceroutes.

This is a public information, hiding it at peeringdb does not make it
private.

But if people insist, I guess allowing that particular organisations to
hide the actual address for unauthenticated pdb users may make sense.

But please do not allow empty IP fields in the database.

Thanks,
Lukas