[PDB Tech] allow empty IP field or not?

Arnold Nipper arnold.nipper at de-cix.net
Tue Dec 27 15:55:22 PST 2016

On 25.12.2016 19:26, Joe Provo wrote:
> [this time form the correct address...]
>
> On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 03:15:39PM +0100, Sascha Pollok wrote:
>> Hi Job, et al,
>>
>> Let's please keep it required. Many people rely on PDB information to
>> automate peering configurations. It does not happen often that we need to
>> configure peering sessions that require manual input and when it happens,
>> it is actually annoying. Making IP addresses optional will make more ASes
>> not document them either of lazyness or weird security reasons. If someone
>> thinks not disclosing them gives extra security they do have a problem
>> anyway. It's easy to find out peering LAN IPs if someone wants to do
>> something ugly.
>>
>> Please keep them required.
>
> Yes.
>
> If the [not uncommon] case of signaling intent-to-be-there is needed,
> that should be simply a separate flag not an overloading of the address
> field.

Isn't there always an overloading one way or the other? Given we do yaf
(yet another flag) which says intent-to-be-there. But what is the
meaning of this flag when an address is added? I know the address but
I'm not yet ready? Or still the original meaning.

Same is for privacy. If a network doesn't want to disclose its IP there
may be reasons for it. Otherwise it wouldn't do so.

Imho all we need is a common understanding what something means. Does it
really hurt if we allow an empty IP address?  Does it break any automation?

Cheers, Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper
Chief Technology Evangelist and Co-Founder

DE-CIX Management GmbH | Lindleystrasse 12 | 60314 Frankfurt am Main |
Germany | www.de-cix.net | Phone +49 69 1730902 22 |
Mobile +49 172 2650958 | Fax +49 69 4056 2716 |
arnold.nipper at de-cix.net | Geschaeftsfuehrer Harald A. Summa |
Registergericht AG Koeln HRB 51135