[PDB Tech] IX-F JSON to PeeringDB importer (temporarily) disabled

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Sat Aug 31 09:15:28 PDT 2019

Hello Lukas(all

On 30.08.2019 20:12, Lukas Tribus wrote:

> I would opt for simpler, more predictable fixes.
>
> Why not limit the IX-F overwrite to cases where there is an actual
> ASN mismatch between PDB and IXF? Or in other words: don't delete
> addresses in PDB when the data is simply missing in the IXF data?
> Sure, obsolete IP addresses won't get cleaned up immediately. But
> they would get cleaned up when it matters (when the IP is
> reassigned), without the false-positives we have today.

what imho makes sense is to have an additional field in the netixlan
record which gives more information about the status of the connection.
Such a field could also hold a value for the situation you described
above [0]

Current interpretation of netixlan is that the network is *operational*
at the IX. However networks may want to let others know well in advance
that they will connect to an IX and also already provide IP information [1]

Another use case could be to let peers know that the connection is down
for whatever reason.

We could work on such an approach w/o even involving 3rd parties like
the IX-F JSON from the IXes. We've seen that we have been a bit naive
when implementing the IX-JSON importer. However, when implemented
carefully 3rd party information would help.

Cheers
Arnold

[0] For very good reasons PDB currently checks that an IP is unique.
That part of the code would have to be reworked as well. On the customer
side that might introduce more complex changes as well.

[1] https://github.com/peeringdb/peeringdb/issues/539
--
Arnold Nipper
email: arnold at nipper.de