[PDB Data Ownership-TF] IXP assignment IP address (netixlan) ownership (was: conditions for being listed in a facility)

Chris Caputo ccaputo at alt.net
Thu Jan 9 10:02:48 PST 2020

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020, Arnold Nipper wrote:
> On 09.01.2020 05:03, Christopher Malayter wrote:

> >> Or better yet, to make sure, do others agree?  Maybe we are unanimous in
> >> that belief...
> >
> > I agree that the IXP responsible for a subnet should be the trusted
> > source and owner for that object.
>
> While I agree that the IXP responsible for a subnet should be the
> trusted source, I disagree that the IXP also is the owner of the object
> netixlan. For netixlan we have co-ownership between IXP and net.

With respect to the REST API netixlan data (*: see below for example), I
agree there is co-ownership.

I assert that if an IXP is providing an automatic export of their
assignments via the IX-F JSON format, that PeeringDB should not present
assignments which disagree with the IXP-provided data.

At the same, PeeringDB should only present assignments which have been
affirmatively supplied by a network.

Thus, while the DATABASE netixlan table is supplied by the network users,
the web site presentation, at least as far as the IXP web pages, and REST
API netixlan results should only present data that represents the mutual
agreement of the IX-F JSON data and the DATABASE netixlan data.

The current IX-F JSON importer is designed to run from a cron task.
Keeping in mind it is currently disabled, as part of what precipitated
this task force, when it runs it does the following:

  - fills in data for those networks that have opted to have automatic
    updates.

  - removes data supplied by networks which is in conflict.

I believe the importer needs to perform an additional task:

  - populate/update a new database table, potentially known as
    netixlan_ixp, which represents the IXP viewpoint.

and once that is implemented, it can cease removing conflicted assignments
unless a network has opted for IX-F JSON automatic updates.

The netixlan_ixp aspect of the importer needs to run frequently, such as
once per hour.

Then, for IXPs that have a populated database netixlan_ixp table, the web
site IXP pages and REST API netixlan and "peeringdb sync" peeringdb_ixlan
table may only present IP assignments that exist in BOTH the netixlan_ixp
and netixlan tables.

In this proposal, web site network pages will continue to show netixlan
data which is not public in the other views, with an indicator to the
viewer that the data is preliminary or not yet sanctioned.

Issue #585 could then be adjusted to only generate tickets for conflicts
that are older than a certain amount of time, ideally exceeding the amount
of time a conflict may exist as part of normal IXP/network provisioning.

Chris

*: So we are all clear on what REST API netixlan is, from my example:

  - netixlan: Network's IP assignment at an IXP
    - Ex: https://www.peeringdb.com/api/netixlan/1534

the result is below, in paraphrased form.

{
  "meta": {},
  "data": [
    {
      "id": 1534,
      "net_id": 416,
      "net": { [...] },
      "ix_id": 13,
      "name": "SIX Seattle: MTU 1500",
      "ixlan_id": 13,
      "ixlan": { [...] },
      "notes": "",
      "speed": 20000,
      "asn": 6456,
      "ipaddr4": "206.81.80.10",
      "ipaddr6": "2001:504:16::1938",
      "is_rs_peer": true,
      "created": "2010-07-29T00:00:00Z",
      "updated": "2019-03-02T03:15:13Z",
      "status": "ok"
    }
  ]
}

Also, from my example:

  - ixlan: Join of ix and netixlan, listing networks at IXP
    - Ex: https://www.peeringdb.com/api/ixlan/13

in paraphrased form:

{
  "meta": {},
  "data": [
    {
      "id": 13,
      "ix_id": 13,
      "ix": { [...] },
      "name": "MTU 1500",
      "descr": "",
      "mtu": 1500,
      "dot1q_support": false,
      "rs_asn": 0,
      "arp_sponge": null,
      "net_set": [ FULL LIST OF PARTICIPANTS FROM WHICH IPs CAN BE DERIVED ],
      "ixpfx_set": [ ... ],
      "created": "2010-07-29T00:00:00Z",
      "updated": "2019-05-08T03:57:10Z",
      "status": "ok"